Wednesday, July 30, 2008

What about monuments

As I prepare for my trip back to PA for a little R&R, I was thinking about the massive 200 foot cross that I'll pass by in Effingham, IL. What are we to make from such monuments? Is this the right way to display or Christian beliefs? Thanks to a post by my friend Paul Grabill, I was able to ask myself what I thought about alternative religious displays. Are either or both of these OK?

As I read God's Word, there is only one way the lost will come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, and that is through the sharing of the Gospel. Whether by preaching or by testimony. It is not by picketing and law suits. The Word says, "Let your light shine...", not the massive halogen lamps that light up the cross on the side of the road. What could have been done to reach the lost if all that money went to missions?

1 comment:

Rebekah Sanders said...

Tim Stevens had a great post about this topic this week too (the latest AFA boycot of McDonald's prompted it). http://www.leadingsmart.com/leadingsmart/2008/07/another-boycott.html

I am so very oven all the self-righteousness. Whatever happened to the days of "there but for the grace of God, go I?"