Monday, December 19, 2005

Free Lunch

Today I had the opportunity to take up to 15 people out to Chilis for a free lunch. All we had to do was listen to David give us a five minute presentation on financial planning. David was true to his word, five minutes and he was done, paid for our meal and left. O, did I mention he left with all our phone numbers and addresses. That's Ok, we had a great free meal. And O ya, I took my church staff and inlaws who are here from Pittsburgh.

Is it possible for the poor to have more gifts to open at Christmas than the average person? If you would have asked me that before I became a pastor I would have said, "No way!" However, I have come to discover in delivering some packages to some "needy" people in the community that their children will have twice as many if not three times as many gifts to open than my children will. They sure did a good job of calling every church in the community. Thankfully God gave me the wisdom to tell them we would deliver the gifts. When I went to the door, I went empty handed just to see the true situation. I was then able to see the floor under the tree covered with gifts. So I went back to the car and picked out two small gifts (one for each child), and left the other eight to give to someone else, and gave them to the family.

Don't get me wrong, I love to help and am probably one of the biggest softies in the world. But, you better not be taking advantage of my church family. They work very hard and are very generous to give! We must be good stewards not just as individuals but as a church as well.

No comments: